Monday, November 29, 2010

Week 8 - Reflection

Hi all,
This is my another late reflection post. I'm struggling to get things done in time, but I unfortunately can't. My apartment Internet connection has been very sluggishly slow and eventually off for repair during the weekend and has just got fixed this morning.

This week's discussion was very interesting as Jeff Magoto introduces us ANVILL, the advance Course Management system that incorporate audio-video features that can be accessed freely. I can say that the website is very sophisticated as I managed to wander around the site and see the potential of how this can be effectively used for my context of language class. The idea of providing my students with materials and forums that could enable them to self-learn is among my primary aims. I would like to have a portal site that could give various links and service such as forums that enable students to have a synchronous conference with the teacher.

My only difficulty of getting this to work is the internet connection that are relatively slow in terms of very low bandwidth allocated for transferring data could be the greatest constraints to work with audio video. Teacher must understand the context of technology  condition and availability to serve the class with this idea.

Comments are very welcome

Rahmat

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rahmat
    I was at a conference where they contrasted the "digital super highway" with the "digital dirt road." It was a concept that definitely stuck with me. I too am very anxious to incorporate more video and audio in my classes. Thus far, however, I have only been able to do so when I am working with students on campus, as I know and can guarantee that they have access to high speed ethernet through the University. Still I know what the future looks like, and it includes video and synchronous learning.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert,
    You are right. I am even experiencing now that only campus internet connection that could give that kind of access speed. Paid public access is far slower and expensive. I could not believe the internet that I am using that costs me 3AUSD/Hour still often lags. The whole issue of internet speed and reliability is the major constraint of integrating web-technology to classroom.
    Best,
    Rahmat

    ReplyDelete